Friday, March 31, 2006

Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti

Welcome Crafted Poetry participants to our very first poetry discussion. So from April 1 to April 15th we will be discussing Goblin Market Christina Rossetti. The Victorian Website is a wonderful resource to browse and it has many great links about Rossetti and her poems. Here are a couple I found useful...

The Life of Rossetti
Rossetti Literary Career
Themes in Rossetti

Some questions I would like to pose to the group to get us going are...

What do you make of the goblins in the poem? What significance do they have? Why Goblins?

How do you feel about the way Rossetti handled gender? How do you feel about the relationship between the sisters?

I have seen others compare Rossetti to Dickinson and Austen, do you think the comparison is fair?

What do you make of the fruit in the poem?

What do you think of Rossetti overall? Do you like? Dislike her?

Are there any other poets or poems that remind you of Goblin Market? If so why?

Does this poem make you feel crafty?

Here are some additional poems from Rossetti available for free online...
An Apple Gathering
Remember
The Woodspurge
Up Hill

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Sounds great! I am excited to see how this works and excited to read the poem!

7:14 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

I see I'll have to go reclaim my volume of Rossetti from the class this month ;) ***CV

7:15 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I need to print out a copy. I can't concentrate when it is on the computer screen. I am going to order a copy from Dover, but that will be a little while before it gets here.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

OOOh I really like this poem so far. I am not sure who the goblins are yet but I have an idea! I will keep reading. Great Pick Amanda!

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home