Thursday, March 23, 2006

What Collection hooked you?

I was reading the March/April edition of Pages and there was an article listed 6 collections of poetry that would make anyone love poetry. Now I am in no way a poetry buff but out of the six I can honestly say I have only heard of one of the poets and actually read his work...Allen Ginsberg and his collection Howl and other poems. Now I read a couple of his poems a couple of years ago and was in no way taken by him. So it got me to thinking, what actually got me hooked on poetry.

I am not sure, how about you...

Amanda

4 Comments:

Blogger chittavrtti said...

I remember reading the Lady of Shalott and the Highway Man when I was 9? 10? And I read the Odyssey adn Illiad around that time as well. Poetry has always seemed another way of story telling to me.**CV

10:35 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

The Lady of Shalott was one of my early favorites, too. My mother, who studied Zen, introduced me to haiku when I was quite young, and they also fascinated me. Emily Dickinson, of course, and Allen Ginsburg, of course (child of the sixties, of course!) (How I shocked my 10th grade teacher when I did my term paper on Ginsburg!)
But the first poem that actually made me cry was "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening." It still does.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I feel that way too about Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
it always brings tears to my eyes. I always read poetry and kept a collection of my favorites in a scrapbook since I about 10 or 11. Like Chittavrtti I always found poetry a different way to tell a story. I have many favorite poets "Lady of Shalott" is a dear favorite too. I have always remembered hearing some form of poetry through out my life. My Mother had a very soft and poetic voice when she read to my sisters and I when we were children, so I guess, in a way reading poetry reminds me of her.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

It was Reflections on a Watermelon Pickle when I was in grade school. It was a little collection of poetry by many writers that I read again and again.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home