Friday, May 19, 2006

Post-Angelou

Thank you Jenni for posting that wonderful poem. I grew up in a neighborhood filled with women, and women to be, who embodied what Still I Rise projects. So many memories came back as I read it :)

There are two more days in the Angelou focus, though of course the more the better.

Starting next week I thought it would be fun if we all posted bits of poetry, or metaphors that appeal to us. They could be familiar, found, just thought up, funny, sad, peculiar; in other words no theme except that it is a bit or piece that catches your attention

For example:


" whisper your name in an empty room
brushed past my skin
as soft as fur"
Other Voices, R. Smith

Sound good?

Melanie will be the close reader leader in June. I snuck a peak :) She's gonna be good***CV

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Sounds like a plan.

I haven't started a project for this months selectios yet. I am not sure I will get a chance.

Does anyone have any ideas?

9:10 AM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Something gothic for Poe? Though that may be a little too cliche.

Is there a way to combine the two authors: Poe and Angelou?

What about a poem of ones own inspired by pieces of each poets work?***CV

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I thought of a pair of black footies. Poe's character's always seem to be up late. I don't have time to knit them though. They exist in my mind however.

11:39 AM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

I think alot existed in Poe's mind too: a lot.

How about: Ode to a Pair of Black Footies? :)***CV

Once upon a winter wild
As the wind keened like a child
I stared darkly at the floor
And cheerfully thought nevermore
Shall my tender precious tootsies
Be cold in such lovely footsies....

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home