Thursday, July 06, 2006

morpheus

The Dream

While the clocks of the midnight hours are squandering
an abundance of time,
I shall go, farther than the shipmates of Ulysses,
to the territory of dream, beyond the reach
of human memory.
From that underwater world I save some fragments,
inexhaustible to my understanding:
grasses from some primitive botany,
animals of all kinds,
conversations with the dead,
faces which all the time are masks,
words out of very ancient languages,
and at times, horror, unlike anything
the day can offer us.
I shall be all or no one. I shall be the other
I am without knowing it, he who has looked on
the other dream, my waking state. He weighs it up,
resigned and smiling.
(1975)

***

Cuando los relojes de la media noche prodiguen
Un tiempo generoso,
Ire mas lejos que los bogavantes se Ulises
A la region del sueno, inaccesible
A la memoria humana.
De esa region immersa rescato restos
Que no acabo de comprender:
Hierbas de sencilla botanica,
Animales algos diversos,
Dialogos con los muertos,
Rostros que realmente son mascaras,
Palabras de lenguajes muy antiguos
Y a veces un horror incomparable
Al que nos puede dar el dia.
Sere todos o nadie. Sere el otro
Que sin saberlo soy, el que ha mirado
Ese otro sueno, mi vigilia. La juzga,
Resignado y sonriente.
(1975)

2 Comments:

Blogger Zee said...

OMG! One of my favorites!! Jorge Luis Borges... I remember reading this one out loud for class. Very moving, particularly with what I was going through at the time. Made me cry to read this again.

Lovely... thank you so much for sharing this one, Chittavrtti.

10:02 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

It's nothin' but Borges for the two weeks I'm hosting :) ***CV

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home