Wednesday, July 05, 2006

boast of quietness

Boast of Quietness
Writings of light assault the darkness, more prodigous then meteors.
The tall unknowable city takes over the countryside.
Sure of my life and death, I observe the ambitious and would like to
understand them.
Their day is greedy as a lariat in the air.
Their night is a rest from the rage within steel, quick to attack.
They speak of humanity.
My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty.
They speak of homeland.
My homeland in the rythym of a guitar, a few portraits, an old sword,
the willow grove's visible prayer as evening falls.
Time is living me.
More silent than my shadow, I pass through the loftily covetous multitude.
They are indispensible, singular, worthy of tomorrow.
My name is someone and anyone.
I walk slowly, like one who comes from so far away he doesn't expect to
arrive.
(1925)

***

Escrituras de luz embisten la sombra, mas prodigiosas que meteoros.
La alta ciudad inconocible arrecia sobre el campo.
Seguro de mi vida y de mi muerte, miro los ambiciosos y quisiera
entenderlos.
Su dia es avido como el lazo en el aire.
Su noche es tregua de la ira en el hierro, pronto en acometer.
Hablan de humanidad.
Mi humanidad esta en sentir que somos voces de una misma penuria.
Hablan de patria.
Mi patria es un latido de guitarra, unos retratos y una vieja espada,
la oracion evidente del asauzal en los atardeceres.
El tiempo esta viviendome.
Mas silencioso que mi sombra, cruzo el tropel de su leventada codicia.
Ellos son imprescindibles, unicos, mercedores del manana.
Mi nombre es alguien y cualquiera.
Paso con lentitud, como quien viene de tan lejos que no espera llegar.
(1925)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home